Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fear

"I'm scared"
"Do you want to face it?"
"No"
"Well, know that I am here to help you when you do"
"Really?"
"Yes, really. I understand that you may not want to face your fear right now but you may have the courage to later. And when you do I will be there to face it with you, to hold your hand, to offer words of encouragement, to witness your triumph and to celebrate with you."
"That will never happen, I am just too afraid."
"Maybe not today, but you might change your mind another day.  We grow and change everyday. The reason you may be afraid today might not be around tomorrow. Perhaps you are tired or faced other fears today and just do not have the gumption to face it right now."
"I guess you are right, maybe another day...."
"I'll be there to help you if you want me to." 


"I'm scared"
"There is no reason for you to be afraid, go on."
"But I am scared"
"Come on, do you want to be scared forever? Don't be silly, go on."
"But I am afraid"
"I am right here, this is stupid, what are you afraid of?"
"But I don't want to"
"I don't care, you have to do this. There is nothing to be afraid of. Now go on."


Not everyone grows and moves on your schedule. We are all individuals. Support those who have fear, do not ridicule or chastise them for it.   Fear is very real to the person experiencing it.  Extend your hand instead of shoving from behind and we both win. 

Partnership not power. Let empathy and compassion guide your actions and responses no matter how little time or energy you may have.  



No comments:

Post a Comment